Sunday, April 3, 2011

Day 180 - 182: Back Home

STANIEL CAY EXUMAS, BAHAMAS


The last couple of days at the dock in Georgetown brought nothing but trouble.  The power wasn't very good and it screwed up our refrigerator.  Our old generator took a dump and the watermaker stopped making good water.  We went over to the docks to fill up our water tanks and I took a look at the generator.  Raw water was being sprayed all over the generator from a hose connection on the heat exchanger.  I replaced a hose which didn't seem to work.  The water was being sprayed back into the unit and I really could not see the source.  I decided to pull the heat exchanger off and take a better look.  I found that a small hole was on the heat exchanger and spraying water everywhere.  I found a guy to weld it and got ready to put it back on.  I had to drain the coolant in the process and found that it was VERY bad.  After not being able to get the coolant cap off due to massive corrosion I decided to pull the whole tank off instead.  Upon doing so I was able to get the cap off, being that I had a little better leverage.  The tank basically collapsed with rust and I am surprised we didn't have more problems early.  We are now down to one generator and hopefully it will be enough.  The refrigerator was an easy fix and the watermaker still isn't right.

We went up to Emerald Bay marina for a night and being that there was absolutely nothing there to do, it was a quiet night.  We did take the scooters to Big D's bar and grille which was pretty cool.  It was another Bahamian restaurant on the beach.

Today we left Emerald Bay around noon and headed for home, Staniel Cay.  It was a bit rough out in the sound but once we could get back on the bank we took the opportunity and everything smoothed out.  The owners son and I washed the boat in one hour and five minutes and I have to say that is a new record.  It feels good to be "home" again as everyone we talked to said hello and welcome back.

I wrote this blog a little hurried and I don't really know what else to say....I am back in range of good internet so hopefully some better posts will be coming soon!

Sound Waves Out

No comments:

Post a Comment