Sunday, December 12, 2010

Day 72 & 73: Christmas Crazy!!!

SARASOTA, FL USA

I got a lot accomplished on Saturday and now I look forward to Monday where we should be able to take care of a lot more as the mechanic is coming with the new bow thruster part, and the electrician is coming to look at the underwater lights and stereo noise issue.  When we turn on the underwater lights and the stereo on the fly bridge at the same time there is a lot of noise in the speakers.  I figured out that it was because of the battery charger kicking on and essentially maxing out.  I found that there is a lead for the underwater lights that for some reason was hooked up to the same breaker as the battery charger.  Hopefully isolating those leads will be enough to take care of the noise, otherwise we will have to purchase another 5000 SP 50 amp battery charger and hook it up in parallel with the current one.

The big Christmas boat parade was Saturday night and the marina was so busy.  Every slip was full and there was one dock party going on after another.  I was so amazed at how many dogs were simply roaming the docks.  It was quite entertaining to watch all of them throughout the day.  The Christmas boat parade was pretty cool and I had front row seats from the fly bridge.  I will post some pictures.  There were about thirty boats in the parade and anything from a little kayak to a 130' westport were involved.  They even have this floating wedding chapel, that is literally a house on water, and they came by as well.
The marina was crazy after the parade but as always 11:00 P.M. rolled around and ....it was all over.

Today (Sunday) I did some general boat chores, did some laundry, washed my sheets, cleaned the heads, etc...  I feel pretty good about where the boat is right now and am still somewhat hopeful that it may be possible for me to go see my grandparents, at least for a couple of days.

As the sky turns to pitch black we are right in the middle of a passing cold front.  11:00 A.M. the wind started to howl and then it rained.  Now as I sit here in the galley the bimini top on the fly bridge jerks at its brackets, flags whip back and forth even and a catamaran docked across from me reminds me of my time in the Caribbean as its wind turbine slices through the wind.  Halyards beat against mast as the boat heels every now and then with a passing gust of wind.  The next time I go outside will be for a quick line check and that is all.  I look up and see two shadows dart down the dock as two people run to get out of the weather.  Florida hasn't been what I remember.  Ever since Thanksgiving I don't think we have seen a day above 70 degrees.






Sound Waves Out

No comments:

Post a Comment