Friday, October 15, 2010

Day 15: Another Big Decision

GRAND HARBOR MARINA, TENNESSEE


The night before I talked with Brady, the captain of Mr. Chips, and told him that we would be leaving him in the morning.  He needed to slow down for certain reasons and we already had received clearance to continue south with our journey.  We talked for an extended amount of time about why we should stick together and why making a 120 mile jump was not a good idea.  I thought about the pros and the cons, looked over the charts again and again, discussed all of the above with my crew and we went to bed.  The next morning I woke up expecting fog.  It was clear as can be.  With the final factor set we decided that it was time to leave Mr. Chips.  It was a hard decision.  Brady has made this trip so easy for us.  He has been down this river before.  He knows the ins and the outs and all of the fun places, and the right places to stop.  Not to mention Mark, Brady's crew, and Brady have been great company and are two people I now consider my good friends.  Especially Brady after spending an entire summer with him.  Regardless, we could not justify putting together three days of 50-60 mile legs.  It was time to push forward.  We left the dock with out him and for the first time saw the river ahead without the safety blanket of Mr. Chips in front of us.  The day went well and we made great time.  We didn't expect to make it to Grand Harbor by night fall but we shut off the engines just before 1800, just in time for happy hour.  So for today, leaving Mr. Chips was the right decision, but as I talked about two posts ago I needed to make sure that everything I do is spot on.  We will find out.  The harbor master suggested we check out a place called Freddy T's tonight as it has great food...and its Friday.  So with that being said it is time for me to hop in the shower.  With Mobile Bay only 450 miles away I can already smell the salt water.  The problem is that there are a lot of locks still in between us and that salt water.

Sound Waves Out

No comments:

Post a Comment