Friday, October 29, 2010

Day 28-29: Sand Dollar Island; Up Close and Personal

SARASOTA, FL USA

The weekend.  There is a dock party going on a few slips away.  Some lady is yelling for "Billy", there is laughter here and there.  The band at the Marina Restaurant is about half way through playing "Mustang Sally".  The heat has finally released its grip and it is a cool 78 degrees right now.  Camera flashes go off at the dock party as memories are made.  Ride Sally Ride.

Last night was interesting.  We went to dinner at Captain Kurt's, worlds best clam chowder.  Sorry Beach Bar...its true.  After dinner we went to the bar in the back for Karaoke night.  I refused to sing, but Duff sang two songs and he was amazing.  "Can't ya see wooooh can't ya see what that women has been doing to me"
After a few songs Duff and I got sent to The Beach Club.  It was a lot of fun and after a long game of pool we managed to find our way back to the boat via Diplomat Taxi.

This morning we went for a ride in the jet boat with the owner.  He wanted to show us around the area before Duff had to leave later today for Chicago.  We were checking out 'Big Pass'  which is one of the entrances into Sarasota Bay that I was scared to try with the big boat.  Well I'm glad I didn't do it because there was a huge sign at the entrance of the channel that read "Local Knowledge Required".  Well as we were zipping along we drove over one of the sand bar shoals, called sand dollar island.  The jet boat draws next to nothing but the water depth was a little less than next to nothing.  High and dry we got out of the boat laughing (I wasn't driving).  A 7 knot ebb current was not helping our water depth situation as the Sarasota Bay drain plug was pulled and the tide was going out.  We eventually got someone to pull us off and it is a story that we will be able to laugh about for awhile.  I was just mad I didn't find any Sand Dollars, and I forgot to take a picture.  Oh well next time.

As the band finishes "What a Wonderful World" I think its time for this captain to make some dinner.

Have a happy Halloween!!!
Sound Waves Out

No comments:

Post a Comment