Thursday, November 25, 2010

Day 56: Happy Thanksgiving!

CLARKLAKE, MI USA

Everything kind of came together at the last second.  Lance and Saugatuck got a state finals bid in the playoffs.  A week before that I promised his mom that if Lance went to state finals that I would be there no matter what it took.  On top of that it was Thanksgiving weekend.  I figured the boss would need me because all of the family was coming in to town and there would be a lot of traffic on the boat.  I had to keep to my promise though.  I presented the idea and he said that I should definitely get to Michigan.  His family would cover for me as crew for the couple of nights.  I booked a flight for a little over $300 and it was set in stone.  I will be here for just over 24 hours and it will be just enough.  Good times with the family and a great home cooked meal for Thanksgiving back at good ole Clarklake and a classic high school football game.  I don't even think I'll loose any of my tan.

I think back to the fall of 2003 when I was sitting where Lance sits tonight.  It was the biggest night of my life.  Nothing else mattered.  It wasn't that I was nervous, I just remember wanting to get out there and play.  Now as he sits in his hotel in Detroit I am sure there won't be much sleep tonight.  I wish them the best of luck.  I sent him a picture of the front page of the newspaper when I won the state finals back in 2003 and told him to play hard and be proud.  Win or lose they need to remember what they did this season and be proud of that.  Back in 2003 when I was winning a state title Saugatuck's program was on some crazy 0-39 streak.  The fact that they have gone from winless seasons like that to a state championship bid is incredible.  I wish them the best of luck tomorrow!!!  Go Indians!

As I sit back in the chair in my parents living room the fire warms the left side of my body as a little bit of smoke escapes the vacuum of the chimney and makes my eyes water a little.  The wood cracks as one log rolls off another as the fire burns on.  Zac Brown band is playing in the background as the after dinner conversation carries on up at the table not too far away.  With the help of a little bit of alcohol the volume of the conversation has gone up a little bit.  The lights are dim and the atmosphere warming.  Dad throws another dish in to the sink and scrubs away as long time family friend Elizabeth dries dish after dish trying to keep pace.  Its a cozy "I'm home again" feeling that I find myself missing suddenly as I write to you.  All of the great things I've seen and all of the awesome things I've done in the past year and I still find that there is nothing quite as good as coming home.  It won't be long before I'm gone again, less than 12 hours actually, but it was just right.  It was a surprise to everyone that I came home, and I'm glad I did.

Happy Turkey

Sound Waves Out

No comments:

Post a Comment