Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day 138: Diesel fuel and pumps oh my!

FT. LAUDERDALE, FL USA


What a day.  What a night last night!  I have been so lonesome down here haha.  I work all day on the boat by myself, then have some dinner, play some guitar, watch a movie or three, then go to bed.  It started to take a toll after awhile and I just had to go out and get some fresh air.  I hopped in a cab down to Waxy's.  I met some people last time I was there and they were there again.  It was Wednesday night poker night, which was fun.  For $5 you could play and if you finished in the top three you got a $10 gift certificate to Waxy's.  I was just enjoying talking to everyone and having a good time and all of the sudden the dealer took everyones chips, the game was over and I won!!!  Everyone there was either from Australia, South Africa or somewhere in Europe.  The accents were great.  I really met a lot of fun people and I felt like I was at "the local watering hole back home".  Scully, Megan, Mick, Conner, and Waxy himself are amongst the new friends I hope to see again before I leave Ft. Lauderdale.

I decided today that I was going to take a variable out of the fuel problem equation.  I switched the lift pumps from the starboard and port engines.  It took almost all day, but I wanted to know.  Sure enough the port lift pump that was now the starboard lift pump picked up fuel right away and immediately provided 15 kPA.  The only thing left to see is if the racors drain out now.  I will be calling Kerr Pump first thing tomorrow morning to have a word with them and get a new pump shipped immediately.  Brand new pump = fail = Captain Eric not happy.

I will be getting a first mate on Monday as the owners son will be flying down.  He will be joining us for the crossing to the Bahamas, but has also been volunteered by his Dad to help me with the final projects remaining on our list.  It will be a big help to have him, especially while washing the boat!

Sound Waves Out

No comments:

Post a Comment