Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 148: Atlantis

NASSAU, NEW PROVIDENCE ISLAND, BAHAMAS,


Bimini Island proved to be a fun night and it was much more happening than the last time I was there.  The marina at the Big Game club was just about full as the sun surrendered to the horizon.  I got up the next morning and caught up with some fishermen before they left the docks at 0800.  I met them the night before and they said they would give us some tips on fishing around here.  They set me up with some pretty good rigs and techniques and I was on my way.  Skipper was the resort charter guy I'm pretty sure, and Mike was also a local to the area.  I'm pretty sure I met the owner of the whole resort as well haha.  They were all very nice and helped me out so much.

We pulled back from the dock around 1000....dead low tide....and idled back in to the bright turquoise water.  We tried our luck at fishing for an hour or so but only came up with one barracuda.  For the next 50 miles the water under the boat would barely reach any higher than 10 ft. and there wasn't a hint of land in sight...The Exuma Bank.  It got a bit rough, as I was afraid it would, and after clearing Mackie Shoal we found ourselves in 3-4 footers.  It was no big deal just a bit bumpy.  The wind was ripping right on the nose.  I was very nervous that these waves were going to turn even less friendly when we hit the deep water off the Northwest Channel.  Our destination was Chub Cay however and I knew that even if it was really rough we wouldn't have far to go.  To my surprise the waves laid down once we hit deeper water and looking back to past experience in the Bahamas this makes sense.  They didn't get any taller or shorter they just spread themselves out and became more of a swell.  With the weather forecast for the following day promising heavy winds the owner decided to continue on for two more hours and head to Nassau.  A slight turn to starboard is all it took and we were on our way.

We got in to Nassau just before dark and I found my post dock duties diminishing as the owner immediately hired two Bahamians to wash the boat who were waiting eagerly for our business.  I was exhausted and took a quick power nap.  I got talked in to going up to Atlantis for dinner and a little gambling.  The place was packed with tourists!!  Dinner was great at Nobu, a sushi place, and the gambling was fun, even though I came out with no winnings.  It was very nice of the owner and his brother however to give me a little bonus pay to use for gambling.  I tried to refuse the small bonus but he insisted and it was so nice of them to consider me and make sure to include me in the nightly activities.  I was very grateful for that.

Today (Monday) I cleaned out under the engines, got the weather report, and drifted off to sleep on the couch.  I was granted the relaxation and I took it.  The sun is absolutely blazing hot, there is not a cloud in the sky, but the wind is holding us at the dock.
Tomorrow we plan to attempt to make it to Staniel Cay but if it is still too rough we will wait for our variable and light forecast for Wednesday.

Sound Waves Out

No comments:

Post a Comment