Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day 96 & 97: Crazy

KEY WEST, FL USA


Tuesday was looking like it was going to be a good day.  I had two people coming to look at some things on the boat and I was hopeful to get a lot done.  The A/V guy showed up and without hardly looking at anything in the salon let me know that we needed a new receiver in the salon.  And while this was the reason I had him on board, he didn't even fully listen to the problem.  We have been asking him questions ever since but aren't sure that we will hire him for a full job because he really just seems hungry for money and a quick sale.

The electrician also showed up today.  We are still trying to track down this issue between the underwater lights and the stereo on the fly bridge.  We diagnosed the problem, spoke with previous electricians who have tried to solve this problem in previous ports and got a game plan of things to try tomorrow.  Jason, the electrician, seems like a really great guy and I am hopeful to make progress.

The owner and his guest went out fishing in the tender.  We bought some gear and I loaded them up and sent them on their way.  Well they came back with two poles, a filet knife, and a fish that they didn't know what it was.  Turns out the whole tackle box got dumped in the water and they lost the chum net.  The important part was that they seemed like they had a great time.  I'm just mad because I had just cleaned and organized the entire tackle box!!! :-)  (just kidding I wasn't mad haha).  At least it will be clean for the fish, and we all had a good laugh about it.




Today started just like any other day... except I went for a run!  I ran all the way to the south side of the island wooo hooo.  It felt good when I got back and I even did some push ups and sit ups.  I made sure to stretch really good before and after as I know I am anything but in shape right now.  Hopefully I can keep a good schedule and run as much as possible.  I got right to work and started with the main engine sea strainers.  We blew out a gasket on the port side and there was a lot of water in the bilge because of it.  I had some new cork gaskets shipped in from Ft. Lauderdale after failing to locate what I needed here on the island.  I had to take apart the entire housing for the strainers in order to get to all of the gaskets that needed replacing.  It was a pretty simple procedure and other than having to use a Dremel tool to get the cork gaskets off of the top ring of the reservoir.  The sight glasses are now crystal clear clean and it appears that the leak issue has been solved.  The electrician also showed up again today to work on the underwater lights.  We ran a 10 gauge wire from the power source in the engine room back to the ballast board in the rudder room.  There is currently a 12 gauge wire in place so we thought with the amount of power being transferred the cable was undersized.  It proved to not be the case.  After speaking with the facility that installed the lights as well as the light company and the ballast company we came up with a few options that we are going to try first thing tomorrow.  And while I am ready to get this problem solved it has really been fun to discuss each option and decided whether or not to spend hours trying it out.  It makes me really happy that I actually paid attention in my college engineering classes.  I actually do understand a little bit of electronics I guess.  We have a few other big projects running right now, but everything seems to be running very smoothly.  I have three people working for me right now and everyone has showed up on time and given me answers.  I guess what I learned in Sarasota is helping :-)

The owner has been talking about taking a 70 mile water plane flight over to the Dry Tortuga's, and he even mentioned me going with them!!!  I hope that I can get some projects moving and be free enough to go along with them.  I have read a little about them in our guide books and they look like a fun place to visit for a day.  I am pretty sure that I will still be busy here on the boat and won't be able to join them....put it on the list for next time.

For the record and for my mom.... I have taken three showers in the past 26 hours....last night before bed, this morning after my run, and again this evening before dinner....I'm clean!!!

Sound Waves Out

No comments:

Post a Comment